Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I think he may have colic. So far we have been trying to…

Customer Question
I think he may...

I think he may have colic. So far we have been trying to keep him on his feet. He's gone down twice and is very weak.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the horse?

His tummy is rolling but he is eating. We can they him to drink water. I heard that you need to keep then moving

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the horse seem to hurt?

His belly I think. He is weak and is having a hard time staying on his feet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the horse's name?

Snickers

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the horse?

He was fine yesterday or I think he was. We got him hay and feed. Thinking that would help give him strength

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/22/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did this start? What does "his tummy is rolling" mean? Do you have any Banamine (flunixin meglumine)? That is what we give horses with mild abdominal pain or colic. If you do not have any, can you borrow some from a friend?

It started today. If I find the medicine how do we give it to him?

How much do you think he weighs? What is his age? Did you take his temperature too?

Would a feedstock or tractor supply have it? Feed stores are closed.

No, it is a veterinary prescription medication. But many horse owners keep some on hand for colic.

If you can not get a hold of any banamine, you need to get a vet out asap. There should be an equine vet on call.

Banamine is a pain medication. It will help if he has gas or something mild. If he has something more serious, such as an impacted/blocked intestine, a twisted intestine, or a mass around his intestine, the banamine will not work or it will only help for an hour or two. That is how you know you really need a vet out.

Also, do not let him eat any more right now. If he has an impaction or a blockage the feed will make it worse. He can have water.

Is there something else we can do? He's gone done again and we cant get him on his feet.

No, there is not. I am just being honest. I have been riding for 40 years and I have been a vet for 20 years. You need to get a vet out now. It is serious.

If there was more to do yourself, or something you could buy at tractor supply or walmart, I promise I would tell you about it.

I don't think it's a blockage cause he pooped the last ten we tried to get him up. I'm trying to get the meds now. I'm going to other horse owners to beg for the meds.

Okay, I hope the banamine helps. An 1000 pound horse would get 10 cc in the mouth of the liquid.

Or the paste has lines that you dial base on his weight.

Hopefully it is just a gas colic then.

If we get him up and someone has the meds what do we do after that?

He is still down? He should be up by now

If you give the meds and get him back up, then walk him for 20 minute every hour. If you keep walking him when he is not going down, then he will get exhausted.

If the banamine does not help, or it wears off in 1-2 hours, that is a sign of a serious colic.

It still sounds serious to me if he is not up.

Is there something else we can do.we can't get him back up on his feet.

I am sorry to say, no. You need to call the vet out.