Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My mare is about180 days pregnant. I've been walking her…

Customer Question
My mare is about180...

My mare is about180 days pregnant. I've been walking her about a mile each day on foot. She just had a little bit of a bloody nose....is that normal. I know sometimes people have that happen more often in pregnancy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name and age?

Kiss, 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kiss?

She has been retaining fluid already. Edema on her abodmen

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/19/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good evening, and thanks for the question. Apologies for the delay with getting you a response. I just logged on and saw your question.

It is not uncommon for any horse to develop a nosebleed from time to time. Most often, these are associated with a minor bump on the nose into a hard object. Within the horse's nostrils there is a large bed of capillaries, known as the conchea. Any type of minor trauma can cause the capillaries to easily bleed, and depending on the number of capillaries involved, the bleed can last from a few minutes to an hour. As long as the bleeding is not continuous and is not coming from both nostrils, there is no cause for concern. Also, bleeding from the nostrils has nothing to do with Kiss's pregnancy. Overall, I would not be concerned unless the problem continues to be an issue. Hope this helps, and best of luck with her foaling!

Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other concerns regarding Kiss.

All the best,

-Dan C., DVM.

Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian