Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I am giving Previcox to my horse for arthitis and the smell…

Customer Question
Hi I am giving...

Hi I am giving Previcox to my horse for arthitis and the smell if hi urine has changed.. is it normal? I am scared about kidney adverse effect .. he is been on it for 3 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your horse?

He is 15 years-old and cannot take bute

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/4/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you are noticing a change of smell in the urine since giving Previcox to your horse. A smell is caused by the concentration of the urine. Are you noticing any change in drinking levels or urine output?

Nope

Thank you. This is not likely an effect of the medication. A change of urine smell is affected by the concentration or by infection. The best tool to use would be to perform a urinalysis to evaluate the urine. Over-the-counter urine dipsticks can be used to measure various components of the urine including the concentration. Regarding Previcox, it is safe to continue giving it based on this information. If you are concerned about its safety in your horse then a routine blood panel would be helpful to evaluate the kidney and liver health. Previcox is a newer non-steroid anti-inflammatory medication that does not target the kidneys like the older types. It is not likely to cause kidney problems.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your horse doing?