Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a mare who is very tense and has painful cycles, she…

Customer Question
I have a mare who...
I have a mare who is very tense and has painful cycles, she is on 10cc of Regumate. Her cycles are still obvious to me and she is always touchy about her flank area. She had a right dorsal displacement requiring surgery at the end of July, she was cycling and continued to cycle for 2 weeks after surgery, that was when she was put on Regumate. She had an Impaction colic at the end of October requiring a weeks hospital stay, she was cycling then too. We had her ovaries and uterus ultrasounded and everything looked normal. I just don't know what else to do to help her. Her muscles are always tight and riding has always been a challenge, she is very resistant to moving forward. Over the years I have had her checked by vets, worked on by a chiropractor and osteopath and no one has really been able to figure out what is going on. Would adding Mare Magic be helpful? Any other suggestions? Thank you, Alison
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
12/4/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Jay Bickers, Horse Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Jay Bickers
Jay Bickers, Horse Veterinarian
I am the veterinarian that will try to help you with your mares problem. What breed is she? How old is she?
She is a thoroughbred. She Is 10 years old, never bred or raced. I have owned her since she was a yearling.
Have any of the vets tested her for muscle diseases such as PSSM?