Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

31 yr old mare has diarrhea, no fever eating good grass and…

31 yr old mare...

31 yr old mare has diarrhea, no fever eating good grass and feed. Wormed about two weeks ago over the counter wormer. Anything OTC other than Pepto, I can do Pepto if I have to. I was told by an old man to use yeast powder just a sprinkle in the feed?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the horse can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the horse's name?

Y'satis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Y'satis?

Lol Sweetpea

I have a total of three (3) horses two(2) are 31 years of age and one (1) 20 years old. the other two do not have diarrhea.
I have owned all three horses all from babies never have they ever had diarrhea.
I have sent out messages to other horse owners on F.B. for answers need to get off here, I am at work. Thanks anyway.
11/21/2017
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns with your horse, but there are a couple of things you can try to help her.

Even though you just dewormed her, I would go back & deworm her with a Panacur PowerPac. This is a 5 consecutive day dewormer that will not only get the usual parasites, but the difficult to eradicate encysted organisms like strongyles.

The next step is Platinum Performance Equine Bio-Sponge. This is a nutritional supplement that helps gastrointestinal function.

Usually when we see diarrhea in an older horse, it will generally turn out to be some type of chronic problem without an easy fix. Whether it is damage to the lining of the gut, or a sensitivity to sugars, is difficult to say.

Some horses have done well just on a pelleted feed, no hay, grass OK, & beet pulp, soaked & rinsed to remove as much sugar as possible.

Does this make sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hi Carla,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda

Hello, again. I see you have viewed my response. If you have no further questions or concerns, please do not forget to rate my reply as this is the only manner in which I may receive credit. I would realty appreciate this

Thank you.

Thank you for the information. I got a lot of feed back from some friends with horses as well. My vet was out of the office and closed on Thursdays. My horse is doing very well, I didn't have to do anything she cleared up on her own.

Great to hear. Keep some of my suggestions handy, as diarrhea in older horses is a very common problem.

Take care.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian