Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

3 YR OLD FILLY WITH A LARGE, HARD (BONY) BUMP ON THE RIGHT…

Customer Question
3 YR OLD FILLY...

3 YR OLD FILLY WITH A LARGE, HARD (BONY) BUMP ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HER FACE - ABOVE CHEEK BELOW EYE. VET XRAYED AND NO FRACTURES, ETC - SHE DID HAVE A BIT OF AN ABCESS THERE BC OF A CAP THAT WAS COMING OFF - BUT THAT HAS RESOLVED. 1 WEEK OF ANTIBIOTICS AND NO CHANGE - STILL HARD

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?

FINLEE

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about FINLEE?

NO - SHE'S YOUNG AND HEALTHY OTHERWISE

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
11/15/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I would guess that what Finlee has is what is known as Suture Line Periosteitis.

Although it might be surprising, the equine skull is made up of separate bones that are joined by a slightly flexible junction called a bone suture.

In horses, abnormal development of bone sutures can result in hard swellings on the head. The condition is poorly understood.

Suture line periostetis is more common in young horses, but can occur in mature horses. The cause can be congenital, or from trauma or nutritional imbalances.

Diagnosis is basically ruling out other causes of lumps & bumps, which it seems your veterinarian has already done. There is no cure or treatment, although some horses seem to respond to a week or so of antiinflamatory medication. It is worth a try if this has not already been tried. I would discuss this with your vet.

The good news is this is cosmetic, the bumps do not seem to enlarge much more than initially seen, & may regress or flatten out over time.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hello I see you have viewed my response. Do you have any further questions or concerns for me? If not, please do not forget to rate my reply. This is the only manner in which I can receive credit for assisting you. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda