Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

Both her knees are massively swollen. At lunch it was like

Customer Question
they were full of water...
Both her knees are massively swollen. At lunch it was like they were full of water, this evening they are much firmer. She is not lame, but there is heat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I can't find any wounds anywhere
JA: What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: She is called Dansa, she's a 16.2hh hanovarian , 13yrs
JA: How old is Dansa?
Customer: 13yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dansa?
Customer: She has always had small hard lumps on her knees, they have never bothered her and the vets seemed to think it was a deformity from an injury as a foal. I have owned her since she was 4yrs old
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/13/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am sorry to hear about Dansa. What has been done so far for her?

Was there anything in her immediate past that could have brought this on, like a long trail ride, long trailering, a possible fall in her pasture? What is her usual work schedule/routine?

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Nothing has changed in her routine. She goes out in the day and is stabled over night. She is currently in very light work
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 28 days ago

Without radiographs, it is impossible to say if there might be some degenerative changes occurring in the joints, especially if there was some problems with knees early on, or she had a bench knee confirmation.

For now, ice, hydrotherapy, & bute are your best treatments to reduce the swelling. I would only be hand walking her, or doing some light turnouts, but I believe radiographs will be necessary to show any bony or ligamentous changes in the knees.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can help with, or if you have any other concerns about Dansa.

Thank you.

Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian