Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Is it ok to treat Lymes horse once day with double the dose?

Customer Question
Is it ok to...

Is it ok to treat Lymes horse once day with double the dose? 20mg/kg what is the most palatable product to use?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the horse?

Acute Lymes disease.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the horse seem to hurt?

Feet and tested at Cornell for 3 antigens

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the horse's name?

Misty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
11/10/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I did a lot of reading on the Veterinary Information Network & was able to find some information about doubling the dose of Doxycycline in horses. It can be done, & one veterinarian cited using the 20 mg/kg dose once a day for a Lyme's positive horse. Just be aware that a higher dose may predispose a horse to develop colitis, but this vet out of Texas has never had any issues.

If it is more convenient to dose the Doxy once a day, just watch for any signs of intestinal upset, & stop the Doxy immediately. Any indications of mild colic, loss of appetite, or soft/loose stools is a sign that 20 mg/kg may be too strong a one time daily dose for your horse.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information useful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda

Hello, this is Dr. Linda again. I see you have viewed my response, & assume my information was of use to you. If you have no additional questions or concerns, please do not forget to rate my reply. This is the only manner in which I can receive credit for my efforts. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you.