Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

We have a six year old gelding that my daughter competes…

Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a six year old gelding that my daughter competes with in gymkhana events. She rides six days a week just to keep him fit and does mainly trails and very quiet arena work. Her horse has always been sound. We moved and started with a new farrier three months ago. She trimmed him (he is kept barefoot because he has very good feet) and immediately after he was lame for six weeks. We initially gave him bute for three days and stall rest and soaked his hooves in ice water and finally had to put front shoes on to get him sound, She did what she called a "wicked trim" because she thought his feet needed it. She basically took off his heels. He was unable to compete for almost two months and did not get better until shoes were put on. He is now barefoot again and has been sound, Today, when he was trimmed the farrier said that it looked like he had a slightly laminitic episode about three months ago. We feed one alfalfa, one flake of teff, 1/2 scoop of maxi glow and 1/2 scoop of strategy at night and one flake off teff in the morning. She thought maybe that was too much sugar and protein. He is 13.3 hands and very stocky. He has never been overweight and looks to be in perfect physical shape. He has been on that diet for the three years we have owned him and we have not changed our feeding regimen. He has never had any lameness issues before. Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes we have. You can see from his coronet band that he has some ridges on his new hoof growth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the horse's name?

Hanks Poco Bonanza.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hanks?

No I don't think so.

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/2/2017
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

My thoughts are that the laminitis is from the "wicked trim" that caused trauma to the foot. Laminitis can occur from any adverse condition, it is not always a grain or grass overload. The only way to say that he foundered is with radiographs to demonstrate rotation of the coffin bone.

The appearance of the changes in the hoof wall does not indicate permanent damage, & it may grow out.

As to his diet, if he is worked consistently as you say, & he is not overweight, then his diet is fine. But I rarely recommend alfalfa, unless it is an underweight horse or nursing mare. I just prefer a good grass hay. The teff is a good additive to a grass hay, if he really likes it. For a smaller horse, you could cut back on your concentrates a bit, but since I can not examine him for condition, I will defer to your own experiences with him.

I think he may have had a founder like event when he was trimmed 3 months ago. I would tell the farrier not to do anymore wicked trims.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Ok thank you and we will get X-rays done. She said it looked the laminitis episode looked minor. Is it likely that he will have life long issues with laminitis since he may have it now? Sincerely, Shawn
What is the likelihood if he did have a laminitis episode that he will have another episode?

X rays will be much more predictive of future issues, but with careful shoeing, these horses often do very well.

The likelihood of having another founder episode is questionable. With grass founder, very high & you do have to be very careful. But if Hank's episode is indeed minor, & was caused by an aggressive trimming, then I would not expect anything to happen from now on. This does not make him more susceptible to founder from any other causes.

Thank you very much for your response and we will get the X-rays done.

You are welcome. I hope many happy years for your daughter & Hank. She is a lucky girl.

I sure hope so. They are a great team and he is part of our family. Thank you!

Take care.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda