Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Our 1.5 year old is experiencing a case of colic. We had the…

Customer Question
Our 1.5 year old...

Our 1.5 year old is experiencing a case of colic. We had the vet out two days ago and he gave her a banamine shot and ran, ran the tube through her nose, checked her vitals and provided mineral oil. We felt like we caught it very early but she was extremely lathargic yesterday and contiues to kust pick at her food very slowly. Shes definitely not getting enough food and is losing weight. Wondering if theres anything else we can give her to help with her energy? We gave ben proving bran mash and hay. We are very worried about our little girl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Miniature donkey

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the donkey. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the donkey?

2 weeks ago, we deworned all donkeys with stongid. Could this be a reaction to that?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/23/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

I am so sorry that your little donkey is unwell. I do not think this has anything to do with the Strongid as it was given so long ago. Did your veterinarian take a stool sample to check for additional parasites not covered by the wormer? I would check this first.

If you can, I would also check your donkeys temperature rectally. There may be more than one thing going on here. A CBC & Serum Chemistry analysis might also give some indications as to why she is not doing well.

There are things you can give to increase calories, but if she is not interested in eating, it just will not help. I really think you should call your vet back out to listen to her gut sounds, lungs, check her gum color, etc., to see if anything gives an indication of what is going on. The only thing that can not be done is to palpate her rectally. Even I am very hesitant to do this on such a small patient.

Once she starts feeling better, she should regain all her lost weight quickly, but you need to find out what is the underlying cause of her lethargy first.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda