Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

11 year old with cloudy right eye and pink/red eye. Calchie.

11 year old with...

11 year old with cloudy right eye and pink/red eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?

Calchie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Calchie?

When he was 2 had a cancer romoved from his left eye and his tear ducks are blocked.

10/14/2017
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he had these signs?

Is the eye swollen itself?

Any lacerations or ulcers on the corneal surface?

Any discharge? What color?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

About a week.ulucer on left eye. His eye runs clear all the time

Hello again,

Is there an ulcer on the left as well? Or if there any here on the cloudy right?

Can you post a photo as I am concerned about these eyes?

Ulcer only on left , cloudy on right. Will get picture soon

Hello again,

I will keep an eye out for the photo, but I do want to note in the meantime the reason for my concern.

Specifically ulceration carries the risk of perforation if severe or progressive. So, the left eye is especially of worry here especially if he has any reduced tear flow (which dries the eye out and increases the risk). That said, clouding in the other ear is a sign of corneal edema/inflammation. Often it is seen secondary to corneal damage but can be seen with irritation (ie from sand, dust, etc) or there is also risk of increased pressure within the eye (glaucoma -an eye emergency). Though I have to say that given his bilateral eye issues I do have to question his tear production (over blockage of the ducts per say). If that is compromised (often due to autoimmune damage to the ducts), we may need him on eyedrops for life to counter that and keep his eyes stable. So, do take a photo when you can but if the right eye looks larger or that ulcer is deep, we are safest having his local vet looking into this urgently to give us the best chance to keep these eyes safe from further damage.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Zi contacted a local vet they. On way

Hi again,

I do think that is best given how delicate eyes are and our concerns for Calchie.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian