Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

A lady purchased a horse three weeks ago and took delivery 7…

Customer Question
A lady purchased a...

A lady purchased a white horse three weeks ago and took delivery 7 days ago. It had been effected by eating St.Johns Wort. Loss of hair and tail and patches off his flesh. When she took delivery, his bowel motion was very loose and quite smelly. Yesterday he was lying around, and had very dark loose motions and small amount of clear dribble from his nose. Called a vet. Noticed his lip and tongue was going blue. He was put down last night. Vet found it very hard to find any blood to take a test. Is this a result of being severly by St.Johns Wort?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Queensland, but the horse had been in Melbourne area for quite a long time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Waiting on blood test results.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't want to make false acquations, but I feel she was sold a sick horse. Was told by the vendor that it was up to date with its imnunisation until December

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
10/7/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech. replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years and a horse own for over 40years. St Johns Wort is highly toxic and could cause all you described and more. The long the Horse was eating it the more damage it was doing. The Damage is being caused by the chemical changes in the body after ingestion. chemical reaction of the hypericin contained in St John’s wort to light and oxygen causing changes to skin and cells. The first thing it causes is the horse to rub until the skin starts to come off. It causes swelling in the head and edema which can cause Cyanosis and lastly it changes to the chemical hypericin damage red blood cells.

It is very possible the loss of the Horse was from the ingestion of the St Johns Wort plant over a period of time. The Horse could show signs of Anemia because of the plant.

This is several Sites that discuss this Plant and the effect on Horses:

http://www.faa.gov.nl.ca/publications/pdf/sj_wort.pdf

http://www.horsebackridingworldwide.com/st-johns-wort/

https://wagwalking.com/horse/condition/st-johns-wort-poisoning-1

The Necrospy will verify the cause of death, but according to the information supplied. I suspect the that the St Jons Wort was a large contributing factor to the death of the horse.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not compensated by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.