Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

She has a clear/snotty nose on one side. Noticed yesterday.

Customer Question
She has a clear/snotty...

She has a clear/snotty nose on one side. Noticed yesterday. No cough, not off food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the horse's name and age?

No cough. Lacey 15 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

Lacey

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Haven't gotten an answer yet.....
Answered in 1 day by:
10/2/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago
Amber Hinson

Hi there. I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to try and help you today. Can you answer some questions for me so I can better help you?

Can you tell me if Lacey has traveled anywhere in the past couple weeks?

Any new horses on the premises?

What vaccines does she usually get and when was the last time she had any?

Is the nasal discharge always from the same side and it is a copious amount?

Does it seem to bother her at all?

You say clear/snotty discharge - does that mean like a greyish color or light tan? Definitely not green or yellow, right?

What breed of horse is she?

Hi, she is a Morgan. No she is only horse here and have not been around other horses for 34 days. Shots are in March. Vet was just out to float her teeth last weekend. Drainage is mostly clear and just looks wet, with a little white mucus not copious amounts. It does look like she has rubbed her nose on her legs as they are a bit crusty. I have taken her to local state park last weekend but didn't encounter any other horses.
Horse Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

Thanks for the response. Did you vet find any issues with her teeth?

Horse Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

Any bad smell to the nasal discharge?

No does not seem to be smelly
Horse Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

Personally, if she is showing no other signs right now I would say do nothing and just monitor her. It does not sound like an infectious cause and as per your description she is acting normally. I would monitor for:

1. increase in the nasal discharge

2. any ocular discharge from the same side

3. trouble chewing

4. swelling on the face

5. a change in the color of the discharge like to green or yellow

6. foul odor to the discharge

7. just no resolution of the discharge within a week or two.

I would not take her around any other horses until the discharge has subsided.

The most common cause for unilateral nasal discharge is a tooth issue - usually a tooth root abscess. Even though she had her teeth floated recently, this is not something you often see from the oral side. An x-ray of her head would be needed to see the tooth roots.

The second most common cause would be from fluid/infection in the guttural pouch on the affected side. Sometimes this can be seen on the x-rays. Sometimes an endoscopy is needed to look in there.

Of course there are other things that than cause nasal discharge but those two are the most common. So, I would say if the nasal discharge worsens or just doesn't resolve or you notice any of the signs I mentioned above, then I would have your vet out to start with x-rays of the tooth roots on that affected side.

Does that make sense?

thank you!
Horse Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 7 months ago

You're welcome. Hope this was helpful. Please keep me updated!

Take care,

Dr. Hinson

Amber Hinson
Amber Hinson
Amber Hinson