Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My friend's horse had an abscess that did eventually open…

Customer Question
My friend's horse had...

My friend's horse had an abscess that did eventually open and drain. this happened about 10 days ago. pretty sure it is strangles. is it too late to give antibiotics? how rare is bastard strangles?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?

Jessie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jessie?

No she is normally healthy, but there was a new horse that drank out of her bucket that was on antibiotics, not sure for what

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
9/27/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning! I just logged on and saw your question concerning Jessie. First, I’m glad to hear that Jessie is doing well following her condition with the abscess. Based on the information you have provided, I am assuming that the abscess has healed and there are no other current health problems, such as nasal drainage or fever. If this is the case, there is no need to start antibiotics.

Abscesses in the throatlatch region are the most common sign of Strangles, however abscesses can also be caused by small punctures or dental problems. The only way to diagnose Strangles is to obtain a culture of either the abscess contents or a swab of the nasal cavity and have it submitted to a diagnostic lab for identification. Bastard Strangles is an uncommon condition, unless you live in an area where there are a high number of Strangles cases. Diagnoses of this condition is normally obtained through multiple cultures of the nasal cavity.

Overall, I would recommend just keeping an eye on Jessie for any signs of fever, loss of appetite, or a recurrence of an abscess.

I hope I’ve been of some help in answering your question. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, as I am here to help.

All the best,

Dan C., DVM.