Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I/my family owned a horse during my childhood. We moved to…

Customer Question
I/my family owned a horse...
I/my family owned a horse during my childhood. We moved to the city when I was about 12 or 13 and had to sell my beloved horse :(
Since then I've dreamed of my own riding horse again and vowed that I would achieve this someday.
Fast forward 20ish years (or more- yikes!), I'm finally ready to start looking into buying a horse! Only, I don't remember much about the details in how to go about finding a reputable breeder/seller and looking over a horse ensuring it is heathy and such. Could you guide me in some of this process please?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
9/27/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Greetings, and thanks for your question! Apologies for the delay in someone getting in touch with you. I just logged on and saw your question.

Congratulations with your decision to become a horse owner again! Horses are terrific companions and can add large amounts of joy and pleasure to one’s life. I have a few questions I’d like to ask you so that I can give you a thorough answer.

1): What type of riding are you going to be doing (English or Western, trail/pleasure, showing, jumping, etc.)?

2): Do you have a particular breed in mind?

3): What is your past riding experience?

4): Will you be able to keep your horse at home, or are you planning on boarding?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and I’m looking forward to working with you.

Dan C., DVM.

Oh goodness sorry for the delay on my part!Thank you! Yes, I remember the bond I had with my horse growing up and I've been missing it! To clarify, here are some answers for your questions...
- Western, just for pleasure and possibly trail riding, maybe some overnight trail ride trips.
- I am in LOVE with Palomino colored horses! Other than that, I am open to different breeds and learning the pros/cons of the most common/popular breeds. If there is a good website or book about this please point me in that direction as I'm sure you can't provide all that info in one answer :)
- Growing up we had a quarter horse and a beautiful Arabian. They were both good riding horses, one more gentle and calm than the other.
- As a child and teenager I was an intermediate rider. We did competitive rodeos (barrel racing and the like), and then mostly just rode for pleasure. We also did a couple of overnight trail rides.
- I'll be keeping the horse at a boarding stable just around the corner from my home. Our 5 year plan is to buy land in the country and have our own stables (and house) there. :)
Horse Veterinarian: Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

Thanks for getting back to me, Stephanie.

It sounds as if you have a good amount of riding experience already, which is great!

Buying a new (to you) horse can be a challenge, and there are multiple considerations going into a purchase. Based on the information you have provided, if you are going to be doing mostly trail/pleasure, I would recommend a quarter horse (I have a love of Palominos too, and I had a great Palomino QH mare that was terrific on the trail...). A lot of the purchase can depend on where you live, as that can be a factor in how many horses you get to choose from. One of the larger points to consider is whether or not you want a horse that is already trained. This can obviously make a huge difference in price, and save you time, unless you want to be a part of the training yourself. Being a part of the training gives you the chance to develop a unique bond with the horse, although you can still do that with one that has already been trained. In my experience, however, it's a unique sort of bond when you're part of the training process, which works out great in the long run as the horse has learned to respect you not only as it's handler, but as it's teacher as well (hope that makes sense...). Does the barn you will be using offer lessons/training?

Quarter horses are also one of the more calmer breeds, which is great on the trail when the unexpected occurs (I'll bet that the calmer horse that you had years ago was a QH....? Arabs are often more flighty and high-strung, but are great for long endurance).

I just got an emergency call, so I have to cut this short for now, but I'll continue when I return, which may not be until later tonight. Anyway, I hope I've given you some things to think about already!

-Dan C., DVM.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian