Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I have a 27 year old gelding horse that only maybe 4 to 4 xs

I have a 27 year old gelding horse that only poops maybe 4 to 4 xs a day but acts totally fine. He 1 1/2 scoops of senior equine daily and grass. No hay bc he has no teeth is this okay as long as he acts fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Buster
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: No

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am also very sorry that no one was able to address this request sooner. Different vets come online at different times of the day.

Just like in all species, how food is processed is a very individual thing. The fact that Buster does not have to process roughage means that pretty much all the nutrition he takes in is being utilized. Less waste going in means less waste going out. So if Buster is doing very well on the Equine Senior & grass, especially that his weight is remaining steady, then I would not change a thing.

During the winter, depending on how bad it gets, you may have to increase the Equine senior by adding a lunch feeding, or 1 before bedtime. This should offset any potential weight loss from the lack of grass.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
you are saying 3 to 4 times a day is enough for him as long as he is doing ok. His weight is great right now also
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My local vet seems to think he needs beet pulp or alfalfa but I think he is doing fine like he is except that I don't want him to get a blockage but so far so good. I am not sure how to do the beet pulp or alfalfa anyway since he cant really chew.
There is also a chaff hay that I can get but not sure he can eat that either. Just need to know your thoughts on adding anything else.

The beet pulp & alfalfa are not a bad idea as they certainly add calories & roughage to the diet, but that is also the purpose of the equine senior . And as long as there is grass he enjoys, & his weight is good, then I really do not see why anything needs to change for now. I definitely would consider the beet pulp & alfalfa ( probably soaked in warm water ) this winter if it looks like he is losing weight. But, adding another meal of the equine senior, like I mentioned, would solve everything. I would try this first, then worry about if Buster needs the beet pulp or alfalfa.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Linda
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Everything is still good thank you for asking.

:)