Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I am located in Central Florida on 1 acre - woodland to one…

Customer Question
I am located in Central...
I am located in Central Florida on 1 acre - woodland to one side and a 3 sided metal shelter with a 150 mph wind rating. The reason I'm telling you this is due you hurricane Irma. I have a 23 yo draft, and two small donkeys age 1 and 3 we rescued them in march this year. I know the usual advice is to turn out in Hurricanes however my Draft has walking issues ( she drags her feet) she can trot in an emergency ( when we tried putting a rain sheet in her she galloped around the pasture until it was off). There is a farm 1/2 a mile from here with one block stable available. Should I move the draft to the other farm and keep in the block stable or should I keep the Hurd together at home? I understand this is a difficult question as nobody knows where the storm is going, but advice would be appreciated
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
trotted not galloped
9/7/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech. replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.

My name is ***** ***** I have neen a Vet tech for 35+ years and have had horses allmy life. I too am in Fl. I would definately Put the Draft horse in the barm. With the problem with foot Drag, you have a better chance with him in a CBS ban than the shed. I have been through many storms and have tuned my horse out, but with the availabilty for a CBS barn for a special needs horse that is the way to go.

Please hit reply to discuss thsi information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzie. How is everything going?
Joan

I wanted to check in on your Horse and Donkeys. How did you do with the storm? Did you put the Horse in the CBS barn as suggested ?

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.