Joan
Joan, Vet Tech.
Experience:  Vet Tech of over 30+ years and I have also owned horses for most of my life.
5071285

I am located in Central Florida on 1 acre - woodland to one

Customer Question

I am located in Central Florida on 1 acre - woodland to one side and a 3 sided metal shelter with a 150 mph wind rating. The reason I'm telling you this is due you hurricane Irma. I have a 23 yo draft, and two small donkeys age 1 and 3 we rescued them in march this year. I know the usual advice is to turn out in Hurricanes however my Draft has walking issues ( she drags her feet) she can trot in an emergency ( when we tried putting a rain sheet in her she galloped around the pasture until it was off). There is a farm 1/2 a mile from here with one block stable available. Should I move the draft to the other farm and keep in the block stable or should I keep the Hurd together at home? I understand this is a difficult question as nobody knows where the storm is going, but advice would be appreciated
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
trotted not galloped
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have neen a Vet tech for 35+ years and have had horses allmy life. I too am in Fl. I would definately Put the Draft horse in the barm. With the problem with foot Drag, you have a better chance with him in a CBS ban than the shed. I have been through many storms and have tuned my horse out, but with the availabilty for a CBS barn for a special needs horse that is the way to go.

Please hit reply to discuss thsi information.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzie. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 month ago.

I wanted to check in on your Horse and Donkeys. How did you do with the storm? Did you put the Horse in the CBS barn as suggested ?

Joan