Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

20 yr Q-horse stud. He has loose stools and when he passes…

Hi Dr. B. 20...

Hi Dr. B. 20 yr Q-horse stud. He has loose stools and when he passes gas he passes a watery stuff along with the gas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?

Tuff Sioux (Tuffy)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?

I have trouble with his weight...he's a hard keeper

9/2/2017
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian

Greetings, and thanks for the question. I noticed that Dr. B. is not available, so I’m offering my services. My name is***** and I’ve been with Just Answer for well over ten years.

I’m sorry to hear about Tuffy’s current ailment. This type of problem is not uncommon with older horses, however there are several different conditions that can contribute to what you are observing. I’d like to ask a few questions concerning Tuffy please, so we can get a better idea as to what the problem may be.

1): How long has the loose stool and the watery discharge been a problem?

2): Is he current on his deworming, and if so, which product did you last use?

3): When was the last time that Tuffy had his teeth floated?

4): Has he had any recent changes to his diet, and what does his normal diet consist of?

5): Has he been seen by a Vet for this condition?

6): Have you given him anything to help to relieve the loose stool?

7): You noted that Tuffy is a hard keeper. Has he been losing any weight since this problem first occurred?

Thanks in advance for your answers, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

-Dan C., DVM.

Wanted to let you know that I’ll be offline for the night. I will check for your replies first thing in the morning.

-Dan C., DVM.

Hi Dan.I gotta jump back & forth on screen for questions...hang on. #1. Been going on 5-6 months. 2. Yes. Panacure 3. Never has had his teeth floated. 4. Grass hay..pretty much free feed. AM feeding incl Purina Equine Sr Advantage. High fat content. 5. No..can't find one I trust around here. (Yoder, CO 80864) 6. Wheat bran, 2x a day, .maybe 1C servings, a probiotic supplement, Metamucil (helps sop up excess liquid in gut) nothing pretty radical. 7. He'll drop some...I can see ribs, then he picks it up (good rib cover)
No, thanks

Thanks for getting back to me.

To start, one thing that would definitely help Tuffy would be to have his teeth floated. Just in case you’re not aware, horses’ teeth continue to grow until they are in their mid-twenties. As they grow, the teeth will develop irregularities (points and hooks) which eventually prevent the teeth from grinding the feed in a normal fashion, preventing the horse from getting the needed nutrients. This contributes to weight loss and/or difficulty with weight gain. Almost all horse Vets offer this service, which basically entails filing the affected teeth down to their normal wear pattern. I am sure that you would see a difference with Tuffy in a month or so following some dental work.

As far as the loose stools, etc., there are multiple causes that can contribute to this condition. Ideally, and especially with Tuffy’s age, some routine bloodwork would help to eliminate (or locate) any possible metabolic reasons. Horses can also develop inflammatory bowel disease (same as with people), as well as other diseases that affect absorption of fluids and nutrients through the intestinal tract.

It’s unfortunate that you don’t have access to a Vet in which you have trust, as this is the only way to have the proper diagnostics performed to diagnose a cause.

One treatment that you can try with Tuffy, is something that I have successfully used over the years with “mystery” diarrheas, etc. The treatment consists of 120cc of Aloe Vera gel (usually available at your human Co-op or natural food store) mixed with ¼ teaspoon of slippery elm powder. This is administered once daily via a dosing syringe (available at your feed store) for 10-14 days. If this is going to help, you should begin to see a difference within 3-4 days. The diet that you have Tuffy on sounds sufficient, especially the senior feed. With all senior horse feeds, it’s important to follow the feeding directions on the bag, which is normally based on desired weight. Adding just a few cups or so to his regular diet will prevent him from getting his required nutrients, especially if his teeth are a source of the problem.

For starters, then, I recommend that you give the Aloe Vera a try, along with the recommended amount of senior feed. I’m also hoping that you can find a Vet that you can work with that will be able to give Tuffy the proper treatment should he need it!

Thanks again for getting in touch, and please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,

-Dan.

Just wanted to let you know that I’ll be offline for a few hours. Thanks!

-Dan.

Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian