Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

I sent an email about my horse Canadian Summer. I have

I sent an email about my horse Canadian Summer. I have filled out the credit card info. Claire
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your horse?
Customer: She is an off the track Thoroughorbred, over weight. She gets no exercise and is in a lush pasture...are there any risks to her being fat? She is very happy! She is 10 yrs. old and I believe in good health. She is in VA. I am in MO. Claire
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Canadian Summer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your horse?
Customer: She is very well taken care of ...farrier, teeth and regular visits from a vet.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

Just like in people, being overweight can lead to many health problems. My primary concern would be laminitis, or founder, a very painful condition that can affect all four feet. In addition, being overweight puts a great strain on the joints, as well as, the heart. Obesity can lead to insulin resistance, similar to diabetes, & equine metabolic syndrome.

If there is no one there to exercise her, then you need to try & limit her access to food. Hopefully, she does not receive any concentrates, either pellets or sweet feed. To cut down on the lush pasture, I would suggest using a grazing muzzle. This attaches to her halter & covers her muzzle. It has small openings that still allow her to pick at grass all day long, & does not interfere with her ability to drink. I have used these very successfully on my miniature horses.

I know you love Canadian Summer, but you are not doing her any favors letting her get too fat.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.