Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

I haven't checked my horse since last night. Tonight he has

Customer Question

I haven't checked my horse since last night. Tonight he has a large swollen knot on his neck behind his chin. The hair is off and it looks like it bled then dried. I don't find a puncture. I have washed it w water & alcohol. It did not seem to hurt him. I gave him 20cc penycilin. it has a slight odor. He has an appetite and otherwise seems fine-anything else I should do?? I can take him into my vet in the AM. Thanks!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Bubba -age 19 aprox
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your horse?
Customer: no-he's up on all shots. this is a ranch horse.-he is used to being turned out 1/2 a day or more. Maybe he got nicked by wire. no clue. but its a big, hard and swollen knot like
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 2 months ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Is there any discharge from the mass?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Today there's a large yellow discharge
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I gave 20 more ccs this am..wound started weeping last night after I gave shots-today it is heavy & still w an odor

I suspect this is an abscess and I agree he may have caught himself on a sharp object. If you can express any discharge from the mass then squeezing it gently to do so is absolutely fine. Bathing the area with a salt water solution (~1 tablespoon of salt to 1 pint of water) has very good antibiotic properties.

I would recommend having your vet check nothing else is going on with the wound and it would be wise to keep going with the antibiotic treatment for at least 5 days. Your vet will be able to recommend a more suitable antibiotic than straight penicillin, whihc has a high level of antibiotic resistance at present.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do. Thank you!

You are very welcome.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrRawlingVet