Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a senior mare with cushiness and losing weight and…

Customer Question
I have a senior...

I have a senior mare with cushiness and losing weight and muscle

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?

Teagan 30 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the horse's name?

Teagan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Teagan?

Is a little weak in hip area

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
7/30/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an equine veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Teagan has a diagnosis of Cushing's Disease and is losing weight and muscle. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Has Teagan had a test to confirm this diagnosis and is she currently being treated?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she is on a pill a day.
She will not eat grain just hay

Thank you for that information. The dose of Pergolide is usually 1 mg / day. The first thing to do is consider increasing the Pergolide to 2 mg/day and observe for improvement of the overall body condition. There is a rather wide margin of safety, so increasing the dose should not cause complications under the observation of a veterinarian. It would do you well to check the hay for Alsike clover and get it removed if you find it - I am not sure if it is in your area, but it can cause weight loss. Finally, performing a baseline blood test to assess for liver and kidney function would also be a good idea to determine if there is protein loss, which would also contribute to weight loss. This would not be related to the Cushing's Disease, but it is just a good idea in a 30-year old horse :).

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry