Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

I just found out that a horse has strangles but my horses…

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out that a horse has strangles but my horses are in differant pen can my horses still get the strangles i clean their troughs out often and clean their pens good

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?

Which horse

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
The horse that has the strangles her name is ***** ***** is a year and 3 months old and my 2 horses are my filly is 4 years old and my gelding is 1 year and 3 months old if that helps any
how does a horse get the strangles
i let my horses out to get get some exercise while i am cleaning out their pens and when i clean out their water troughs they can get close to the other horse by the fence
7/29/2017
Horse Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am an equine veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Star has been diagnosed with strangles. If I understand correctly, your horses are in different pens, but have access to each other when let out while you are cleaning the pens. Has there been any access or contact to other horses in the last 14 days?

all the horses can get close to each other but not in the same pens

Thank you. I just wanted to be sure that it is only these 3 that are ever in contact with each other, correct? Are there any other horses in the area or on trails?

no it will cost me another $ 38.00

That is ok. The phone call is automatically offered by the website, but I can answer your question with the text only.

First, strangles is a bacteria called, Streptococcus equi and it is highly contagious. It can be transferred directly from horse to horse. It can also be transferred from a human if the bacteria gets on equipment or clothes. Usually, it comes from direct contact from a different horse. A horse can have the bacteria for months to years and not show any signs. That is how they transfer it to other horses and new horses get infected. So if there is no contact with other horses then it is possible that one of your holder horses is also infected although not showing any signs that need to be treated.

Treatment of strangles is with antibiotics. There is also a vaccination that can help to prevent future infections.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

with me cleaning out the water toughs doing any good

If the water troughs are shared then Star should have her one trough and should be not allowed to come into contact or share equipment with your other horses until this is treated. No special precautions need to be taken with your other horses.

my 2 horses are in their own pens and no other horses gets in them

Good. That is what you want to do. Just make sure not to use the same tack for them as you do with Star until this is completely treated.

my horses have their own saddles and tack
do i need to do anything to their pens to be on the safe side

You should not need to clean their pens or do anything with them. As long as Star was not in those pens then they should still be clean. Make sure during the day that you interact with Star last out. You do not want to work with Star and get the bacteria on your hands or clothes and then interact with your other horses. If you do touch Star then make sure to either thoroughly wash your hands or change your clothes. I am assuming Star is currently being treated with antibiotics.

star is my nephews horse i don't have anything to do with his horses i just take care of mine
which one will be the best to clean out the water troughs bleach or vinegar
i cleaned their troughs on 7-19-17 should i go ahead and clean them again using bleach or vinegar

Bleach is always a better cleaning agent. That will certainly kill the bacteria on contact. You do not need to clean the troughs if there is no sharing between the horses. If each has their own trough then those can be left alone. If there is any kind of sharing then they should be cleaned.

It has been a pleasure to help you. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Horse Veterinarian