horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

I have a mare with cushings. We started medication 4 days

I have a mare with cushings. We started medication 4 days ago. Will that help that crusty neck eventually
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the horse?
Customer: I have an Arabian mare 14 yrs with cushings. We started medication 4 days ago. Will the medicine help her crusty neck. If I am calling it correctly. It's pretty thick
JA: Where does the horse seem to hurt?
Customer: She is not in pain now but I do run the hose on her neck it is pretty hot in Oklahoma now
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** arabian
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buttercup?
Customer: No she is eating good now we have her on a special diet and it seems to be working for her. We have a lot of mosquitoes and flies in this area

Hi there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. I'm glad to hear you started the medication for Cushings for Buttercup. If you are using the FDA-approved drug Prascend, about 20% of horses will have improvement in the cresty neck after 3 months, and about 30% of them will show improvement in 6 months. More than anything, I would say the special diet will help her the most. Please let me know if I was able to answer your question today. Otherwise, please feel free to ask me any further questions you may have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that helped me a lot. Thank you
My pleasure. Please don't forget to "accept" and rate my answer. Please also feel free to contact me if you need anything else.
Hi Richard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
horsemed