horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine veterinarian with 8 years experience working at referral hospitals throughout the country
75349229

It's not my horse but one I am considering buying. I have a

Customer Question

Hi there. It's not my horse but one I am considering buying. I have a vet check arranged for next week but only a basic one. Having watched videos of him jumping yesterday, though, I am wondering if I need to get a full check. Going over jumps, even low cross poles, he doesn't pick up his right hind as much as his left. It's almost as if he leaves it straighter/doesn't bend his hock as much in that leg. What could this signal? He does not appear lame at all in any gaits. ***** *****
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, no heat, obvious wound anywhere in hoof or leg
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Vuldar
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Vuldar?
Customer: No otherwise he seems fine
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  horsemed replied 12 days ago.

Hello there. Yes, I would absolutely recommend a full pre-purchase exam of Vuldar. It is worth every penny. If you are seeing something abnormal now, it may be the beginning of arthritis or other issues that may turn out to be much more expensive in the future. I would recommend the full exam, including lameness exam and flexion tests, and consider x rays as well if they find any abnormalities. Best of luck! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No help at all. I had already stated that I was getting a vet exam. Was hoping for some sort of indication of what the problem could be. Def not worth the money
Expert:  horsemed replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, I thought you were asking if you need to get a full check. Hock arthritis would be the most common condition to cause him to not bend his hock as much. An X-ray would allow diagnosis and let you know the extent of the damage.