Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My mini started giving birth last night she anit do for 2…

Customer Question
My mini started giving...

My mini started giving birth last night she anit do for 2 more weeks when I came out to barn the baby head was out and diedcalled vet but the cost was over a thousand what do I do to deliver this baby out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** its her first shes 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Skyla?

No shes very healthy actually she up eating and then down again

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/22/2017
Horse Veterinarian: horsemed, Horse Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian

Hello there, I am an internal medicine specialist and I am sorry to hear about what is happening with Skyla. It is imperative that Skyla see a veterinarian immediately. This is a medical emergency and for the dead baby to stay inside her for this many hours, Skyla is at great risk of endotoxemia and laminitis, which can be fatal. I know you want to do everything you can for her there, but the baby needs to be pulled and Skyla needs to be started on antibiotics and other medications. Since she is a mini, I would recommend transporting her immediately to the nearest equine hospital.

Horse Veterinarian: horsemed, Horse Veterinarian replied 10 months ago

Hello there. Can you let me know if you received my answer? I hope that you were able to help Skyla and that she is doing well.

horsemed
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian