Michelle Ward
Michelle Ward, Veterinarian
Experience:  Mobile Veterinarian at Pet Mobile, PLLC
97917792

I have a 22yr old stick horse mare who has had an abcess

Customer Question

I have a 22yr old stick horse mare who has had an abcess cleared in her hoof twice in the last weeks. Today there was blood stained pus bursting out of it again and she can hardly walk. I have redressed itagain today. It involves her whole hoof and i am wondering if the kindedt thing would be to euthenaise her due to long long recovery time over winter. She is having teice the reccommenddd dose of beut for the past 5 weeks
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: That was a 22 year old stock horse, aplogies for my typing skills
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about aplogies?
Customer: My daughter wants to do the kindest thing for the horse. We bought her off a friend a few years ago who wants to do what they can to save the horse as the friend bread her. I want what is best fir thd horse
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle Ward replied 4 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Michelle. I will see if I can help. A few questions. Is your mare on any systemic antibiotics and anti-inflammatories? Has she been seen by a farrier or a veterinarian?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a photo of the infected hoof

wow that looks sore! Has it been xrayed to make sure there isn't a nail or something else in there? If there is something still in there, then it will never heal or work its way out. It needs to be xrayed, pared out, and packed with a poultice, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and frequent bandage changes. If you are unable to pursue an xray, its not getting better, and your horse is not walking/off feed/in pain, then you need to consider the humane alternative I'm sorry to say. The good thing here is that it is not in the frog, and it is not as big as I thought it would be. Worth pursuing a cure in my opinion.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your reply and advice.
The farrier has seen the hirse twice and attended to cleaning it out.
The mare is not on a systemic antibiotic or had an xray as yet. Your advice has assisted us in going down that path. My concern was that the infection may have already gone too far to do anything considering the smount of pus that spurted out of the hoof yesterday. Thank you

Horses are amazing healing machines! I'm glad you are seeking more information before giving up on her. Best of luck to you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Michelle Ward