Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Board Certified Equine Surgeon, Lameness and Sports Medicine Specialist DVM, BSc
13958431

Just acquired a 22 year old gelding with laminitis. Not

Customer Question

Just acquired a 22 year old gelding with laminitis. Not trying to get him usable. Just want him comfortable and happy however long he has left on this world. Is Cosequin or Equinox something you'd recommend on a regular use for him? He's been out on short grass pasture only for about 12-15 years. What sort of diet do I need to be feeding him?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the horse?
Customer: Laminitis
JA: Where does the horse seem to hurt?
Customer: Front Legs
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Yes he's stiff
JA: Is the horse eating normally?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is the horse having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: no
JA: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the horse behaving differently?
Customer: can't move4
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the horse. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Cat
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cat?
Customer: Laminitis
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Erin Brown replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. You asked about Coesquin and Equioxx. Cosequin is a joint supplement which helps with arthritis. Equioxx is a Non steroidal Anti-inflammatory that provides pain relief. When Cat is having an active flareup of laminitis I would recommend the Equioxx to reduce inflammation and pain. The Cosequin I would recommend on a daily basis. As far as diet goes, most vets recommend a low starch grain, like Safe choice or Equine Senior for chronic cases of laminitis. Hay, i would recommend Timothy I would avoid Alfalfa. Please let me know if you have any more questions and I hope Cat recovers quickly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I feed the same feed and hay to my 22 year old gelding with laminitis and my 26 year old gelding that has arthritis and Cushings? Was considering Purina Senior and grass hay or Timothy hay if I could find it. Please advise.

Yes that is perfectly fine. Senior feed is safe for both the 22 and 26 yr old. Timothy would be ideal hay for them as well. I am always leary of grassy hay such as Tiff 44 and Coastal bermuda. I worry about impaction colics with those types of hay. they are super fine and horses dont chew them as well. Is the 26 yr old being treated for cushings? If not I would strongly encourage it. Dr. Erin Brown