Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

My 17 year old horse is rapidly losing weight and his mane…

My 17 year old horse...
My 17 year old horse is rapidly losing weight and his mane is falling out in chunks. His attitude isn't changing he's still happy and excited to see me but he always wants to eat like he can't get enough I've tried supplements to put weight back on him and I just don't know what to do.
3/8/2017
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about sweet Sunny's condition...

Most likely this is due to a thyroid condition...the thyroid is responsible for metabolism and can cause weight loss and skin issues. Sunny is not that old so it is best to have your vet examine him and draw blood for a chem panel as well as a Complete Blood Count and thyroid screen. This issue is fairly common and can easily be treated unless there is a tumor of the gland which is not as common. Parasites can also cause this hair loss so worm Sunny with an Ivermectin wormer now to rule this out. Blood work will be important however, to determine Sunny's problem and find the correct medications to help him past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian

Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have dewormed him in the last few weeks and I'm really looking for suggestions on weight gain. What should I try?

The best thing to help with weight gain is feeding a senior diet and adding beet pulp and vegetable oil to this. The senior diet will be easier for your guy to digest and he will not lose the nutrients to a compromised digestive tract. The oil adds calories. I have also used Strategy for horses to help weight gain....high in carbohydrates without making them more spirited. Give this a try....

Hi Sarah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sunny. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian