Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

This is a 7 year old mare that had one foal 4 years ago... i

Customer Question

this is a 7 year old mare that had one foal 4 years ago . . . i just noticed she is lactating and she hasn't been bred . . . there are no stallions around. what can i do for her . . . she seems very sore. thank you Sandra Banks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Little Girl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?
Customer: nope otherwise she is just fine
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay thank you very much
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 5 months ago.

Hello there, sorry for the delay in response. Lactation in a non-pregnant mare can sometimes happen from digesting phytoestrogens in certain types of pasture/hay, one in particular is white clover. I would suspect that maybe there is something she is digesting from her hay or pasture that is causing this, especially since she has nursed a foal in the past, that can make them more prone to this. In general you can just ignore this, but if she is uncomfortable, I would be concerned that she could be developing mastitis. If the bag is warm and painful to the touch, or if she develops a fever, have your veterinarian evaluate her asap. Otherwise if she is just uncomfortable but not sick, you may want to change pasture or look closely at your hay and possibly switch to a different type, such as grass hay only (timothy, orchard), with no alfalfa/ clover/legume hay in it.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions or concerns,

Dr Emily Weaver

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Emily Weaver