Anna
Anna, Horse Expert
Experience:  35 yrs. horseownership, published in major horse journals, volunteer in Girl Scout horse program
6012901

Is it safe to feed lucerne chaff to a horse with laminitis

Customer Question

hi! is it safe to feed lucerne chaff to a horse with laminitis thanks steve.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hello Steve and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in horse nutrition. Feeding Lucerne chaff (called alfalfa in the States) to horses with laminitis is controversial. It is low in sugar, but high in certain phytochemicals that could be problematic. No actual scientific studies have been done on it, so the evidence is anecdotal. Some nutritionists recommend not feeding it all to horses with laminitis. The majority, however, say that it is safe to feed as less than 25% of the diet. The remainder of the diet should consist of grass hay.I prefer to be safe, rather than sorry. I don't presently have any horses with laminitis, but did have ponies with the problem in the past. I didn't feed them Lucerne at all. However, if it is difficult for you to get other feeds, you could try feeding it at a low rate, while watching for any signs of trouble.I'm sorry not to be able to give you a more definite answer, but I believe you deserve honesty. This is a subject on which there isn't a definite answer. If you have more questions, just let me know.Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 6 months ago.
Hi Steve,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Soaky. How is everything going?

Anna