Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

Ivy. And I have a horse that im really concerned about

Customer Question

Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: His neck, close to his jae, has been swollen for the past 3 months. We already ruled out strangles. It's gotten swollen and tight. His hair has come off in that area and has abscess like lumps with proud flesh showing. He now has heavy breathing and discolored snot like stuff coming out of his mouth.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 9 months ago.

Hi Ivy, it sounds like you have a very sick horse on your hands! How old is your horse? Has he been running a fever at all? I know that you said you ruled out strangles, did your vet run a PCR or a culture? Whether the swelling you are seeing is the strangles bacteria or not, it sounds like your horse has abscesses that have ruptured on the outside, and into his mouth. I would recommend you get your horse evaluated by your vet ASAP, A culture of the abscesses is in order, and possibly a biopsy, It sounds like you may be dealing with a gutteral pouch infection as well, so you may need to get him scoped in order to figure out exactly what is going on. Is he able to eat and drink? Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

-Dr Weaver

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Emily Weaver