Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

My 20 year old paint has an area of swelling at the scrotum.

Customer Question

My 20 year old paint has an area of swelling at the scrotum. It looks like edema. He seems fine otherwise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Scamp.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Scamp?
Customer: He has melanomas around his anus. They are flat and have been stable for a couple years. The swelling in the one area that used to be a testicle came about suddenly and is fluid filled.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Swelling in the area of the scrotum in horses can be caused by many things because this is the lowest area and fluid will accumulate there due to gravity. It may be due to the melanomas or one that may have become infected or from a fly bite abscess at the umbilicus. If you can pinpoint what is causing this then that is where to start. If you cannot tell what is causing this fluid accumulation, treat the symptoms by hosing down this area every 6 hrs and/or using cold compresses to decrease the amount of swelling which will make Scamp uncomfortable. It is probably not serious but will cause Scamp some discomfort. dose of Butazolidin will also help decrease this swelling.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****