Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

He's hanging his head. Temperature, respiratory rate and

Customer Question

He's hanging his head. Temperature, respiratory rate and pulse all normal. Horse is eating and pooping normally
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Winston, 6 years. Standardbred
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?
Customer: Does not exhibit signs of localized pain, but does become weak in the hind end when forced to hold head up for greater than 5 mins
Category: Horse Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has had similar episodes 3-4 times in the last 5 months and has always been fine the next day. This episode has lasted 24 hours and he developed swelling on his jaw, lips and neck.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that your guy may have an allergic reaction to something. This swelling and weakness could be caused by this due to possibly an insect bite. The fact that this has happened before and it resolved tells us that this could be allergies. For now, the best thing you can do is to give your guy Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 5-7 days. If there is no improvement, then your vet will have to run further diagnostics to determine what is causing this in your sweet guy so the proper treatment can be given.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I will try that. If there are further developments, may I continue to contact you here?

Yes, please do...I would love to know if this helps...if not, I may be able to direct you in another direction....thanks!!