Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  Equine Veterinarian with over 11 years experience in ambulatory practice
94743805

My 20 yr old gelding has been leaking urine for 2-3 weeks

Customer Question

My 20 yr old gelding has been leaking urine for 2-3 weeks but other wise seems to be alert and healthy
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Emily Weaver replied 10 months ago.

Hi Richard, this is Dr Weaver, I am a experienced equine vet and I hope to help you out with Colonel. I am sorry to hear that he is dribbling urine, this can be caused by several things, some of which can be quite serious. Some causes of incontinence in horses would be bladder stones, neoplasia (cancer) of the bladder, and sabulous cystitis, which is a neurologic problem of the bladder, causing it to not be able to contract properly, which leads to bladder infections and inflammation. It is best to get him checked out by your veterinarian to see what is going on as soon as possible. You will want a thorough exam done that should include blood work, a urine analysis, and an ultrasound of his bladder to start. In the mean time, urine scalding can be a problem, so make sure to clean any areas that are in contact with the urine and keep them coated in petroleum jelly to protect his skin.

I hope that helps, and let me know what your veterinarian finds out.

Sincerely

Dr Weaver