Doctor.A
Doctor.A, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am licensed to practice Veterinary Medicine in multiple states, as well as Board Certified In Equine Surgery.
75359699

I have my a shetland pony that I think may have cushings he

Customer Question

I have my a shetland pony that I think may have cushings he founders easily had his feet trimmed often and now Mn going into winter but still warm out his feet not growing as fast but he seems to breath heavy so I gave him a shot of penicillin today 5cc he''s about 500#''s, my question is I think he needs something to help with his insulin resistance instead and the vets around here are so busy that they don't want to take on any one new so can't get one to come out
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's probably about 20, my grandkids pony
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Cupcake?
Customer: He never shedded out this yr much he''s always fluffy, shetland, but I am guessing Cushings and I have had 2 shetlands here when my kids were young and qh's still have my qh gelding born on the place
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor.A replied 10 months ago.

hello. I am Dr A and would love to help.

are you available to discuss?

For a horse with cushings, a shot of penicillin will do nothing.
Cushings is managed with a drug called pergolide. Dose can be determined with a blood test to look for hormone levels.

Cushings is also different from insulin resistance.
For insulin resistance, the best management is to get him off green grass, and modulate his hay intake to a very specific 1.5% of his body weight per day. No grain, no grass.

is there anything else i can answer for you?

If there is nothing else, can you take a moment to rate my answer? It does not charge you more, just allows me to help others.

Thanks!