Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years, Equine chiropractor, Riding 34 years, Pro trainer
2263760

Our hackney pony just came in from the dry lot with his

Customer Question

Our hackney pony just came in from the dry lot with his face, lips, cheeks, etc all swollen. His halter was pressing in on his face. We gave him some antihistamine that we have for another horse. He could eat that with some feed. He has been on Bute for 2 weeks for some Laminitis. Seems to be breathing OK but not interested in drinking. What else should we do for him. Vets are hard to get to come out for horses around here.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Is he still on bute? Did you give him the bute tonight? What antihistamine did you give and when did you give it?

Do you see any puncture wounds indicating a snake bite or do you have snakes in your area? If no snake tooth puncture wounds then probably not a snake bite.

What color are his gums? Are his gums moist or dry?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I gave him the bute about 10:00 CT. Put him out in dry lot from 1:00 till 5:00 PM. Have not given anymore bute. The type of antihistamine is called AniHist H. Our vet had us get it for another horse with allergies. No puncture wounds. We don't have any poisonous snakes in the area and usually only have garter snakes in tall grass. I don't see any puncture marks. His gums are pink & somewhat moist. Not a sticky, dry feeling but I have seen them more moist. When gums are pressed on they refill within 2 seconds.

Ok so if the swelling is fairly equal on both sides he is most likely having an allergic reaction.

The AniHist is not an antihistamine. It is a more for immune support to help prevent allergies. So it will not work for this case.

How much does he weigh?

If the swelling is more on one side then it could be trauma.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He weighs about 500 to 600 pounds. It is even on both sides of face. I have Benedryl here if I knew how much to give him. It is just the capsules we take when needed.

Yes, benadryl is perfect.

Give him Five give of the capsules if they are 50mg.

If that does not work in a hour then a equine vet will have to be called to give him a cortisone injection.

You can start cold packing the swelling as well.

My biggest concern is that if it is a severe allergic reaction and is affecting his face it could hypothetically affect his throat and breathing. So a vet could give a cortisone injection to stop the reaction.

Since he is on bute already he may need a gastrointestinal protectant, like ulcergard, because both bute and cortisone affect the stomach lining.

Hi, just checking in to see how Chip is doing and if the facial swelling has resolved.