Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

She left her food to lie down. Not out flat, but sitting up.

She left her food to...
She left her food to lie down. Not out flat, but sitting up. she stayed like that for about 15 minutes and then laid out straight and stretched, went back to food. She has done this three times. She is stretching her back legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the horse. What is the horse's name and age?
Customer: Lady, age 15. ASB.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?
Customer: She has coliced before and I gave her banamine IV. She got better. She has done this about 3 x before over the last 7 years.
9/11/2016
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian

Hello there. I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help. It definitely sounds like Lady is beginning to colic again. Has she passed any manure today? Have you administered Banamine for this episode? I would recommend taking away all her food for the rest of the night, but give her plenty of access to water and a salt lick. I would take her for a brisk 10 min walk and put her back in the stall. See what she does. If it is a "gas" or spasmodic colic, usually the withdrawal of her feed and a brisk walk will allow her signs to resolve after about 20-30min. However, if it worsens or doesn't resolve within that time, I would recommend calling a veterinarian out. After all this is over, I would recommend making an appointment in the next couple of weeks to get her thoroughly checked out for the repeat colic episodes - checking her fecal, teeth, bloodwork, and investigating the possibility of gastric ulcers. Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! I gave her 10cc of banamine. She has gut sounds front and back on both sides. I have to go for three hours to a show, we'll see how she's doing when I get back. :-(

Great, hope she will be better when you get back. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian
horsemed
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian