Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

7 year old quarter horse gelding out of Wimpy's Little Step.

Customer Question
He has a small bone...
7 year old quarter horse gelding out of Wimpy's Little Step. He has a small bone spur in the distal Tc of the right fore. Considering buying him for non-pro level competition. Not running for titles, just want to ride and be competitive in some Reining/Quarter Horse shows in Texas.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the horse?
Customer: see previous message
JA: Where does the horse seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't...or not much...he occasionally takes an off step or two when beginning to circle to the right. Huge stopper, turns are fast, both to the left and to the right. Circles are beautiful to the left. He was shown hard as a three year old by top notch Non-Pro. Won good money in 1 show, then went lame Owner turned him out for 3 years. Now has started back for the last 2 months and is showing no signs (other than what I previously wrote) of lameness. The horse isn't cheap and I don't have the $$$ to throw away on a medium level Non-Pro Reiner.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, had a complete vet check and the only thing that concerns me is that they discovered a very small spur on the Tc, right front. flex's were all good. no significant pathology to the P1, P2, P3 - good digital alignment.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the horse?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
9/2/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Emily Weaver
Dr Emily Weaver, Horse Veterinarian

Hello there, this is Dr Weaver, I am an experienced equine vet and I hope to help you out. It sounds like you had a complete vet check done and flexions were good which is what we want, but I don't like that he starts off a little lame to the right! Did they take x-rays of this spur? It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the x-ray here for me to look at to get a better idea of the prognosis for future use. Is he on any medications or had any joint injections recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No x-Rays. They did a fluoroscope (sic). They told me they would email them to me this afternoon but I have t ereceived anything yet.

Send me the images when you get them. Do you know what the initial injury was that caused him to be turned out for 3 years?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't. The breeder/trainer said it was upfront but couldn't recall if it was left/right. She's a big time non-pro Reiner with lots of horses and said she didn't have the time for him so she turned him out...for 4 years! Another trainer bought him, has worked him for 2 months. Claims he's always been sound. I rode him and he's quite talented.

Still haven't received those images?

I know you said they were fluoroscope images, I do not use fluoroscope in my practice, and from what I was taught in vet school (11 years out now) flouroscopy at that time was falling out of favor due to high doses of radiation and the better quality images obtained with digital radiographs. You may have already made a decision about this horse, but if not, you may want to obtain some high quality digital radiographs of that limb to better visualize any pathology that may exist. Something to think about.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I received the X-rays (I learned they also took X-Rays) this afternoon. I am currently remote but will send this lose along shortly.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Horse Veterinarian