Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

My horse has recurring rain rot. I had gotten rid of most of

Customer Question
My horse has recurring rain...
My horse has recurring rain rot. I had gotten rid of most of it, with the exception of hind legs (yes I know it's called dew poisoning), we had a full week of rain and it came back in full force worse then before. I used chlordexidine and the hair and scabs came away, plus I stalled her to keep her dry and I upped her food from pasture with plain hay to grain, oil, alfalfa and plain hay. It seemed to be improving after a week, and then yesterday it is back in new area'
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what Dew ate?
Customer: area's
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dew?
Customer: I want to give her peniciliian
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
7/19/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

THis condition often will be self limiting and resolve on its own. It appears that your mare probably has a suppressed immune system due to heredity and often this will also require systemic antibiotics due to secondary staph infections. Pencillin is not a good medication for this but Trimethoprim Sulfa or Cephalexin will work better for this since Penicillin has a very narrow spectrum. FRom your description, you are doing all the right things and I agree that your mare probably will require systemic antibiotics to totally rid your mare of this condition.

Check with your vet about these medications since they are only by prescription.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian