Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

Mu 47 year old ninny has a one sided nasal discharge -- some

Customer Question
days a bit of red...
mu 47 year old ninny has a one sided nasal discharge -- some days a bit of red blood, today brown discharge no fever no coughing has been going on for a few weeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Molly
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: she is very old-- teeth done regularly not off her feed at all
JA: OK got it. Last thing - Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $38 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/24/2016
Horse Veterinarian: horsemed, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian

Hello there. Sounds like Molly has a sinus infection, likely from a tooth root abscess. Even though you do her teeth regularly, geriatric equids can develop tooth root issues easily. I would recommend making an appointment with your veterinarian to perform an oral exam using a full mouth speculum. If they do not see anything abnormal externally, I would recommend that they take xrays to examine the tooth roots and to see which one(s) are causing the issue with the sinus. Molly will also need to go on antibiotics to help clear the infection, and occasionally the sinus may need be flushed by the veterinarian as well. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hello, please let me know if I was able to answer your question by "accepting" the answer. Otherwise, I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

horsemed
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian