Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

20yr old gelding in good health on 1/4 tab 57mg a day for arthritis, came out tonight very lame in front right(...

Customer Question
20yr old gelding in good...
20yr old gelding in good health on 1/4 tab 57mg a day for arthritis , came out tonight very lame in front right( presuming it to be abcess) just shod two weeks ago, pads under shoe)previcox was 14 hours ago in the past Bute has worked better for abcess, woukd ur be safe to give him 1-2 grams Bute tonight? If so I will not previcox in am
JA: I'm 40 . I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound it's very indicative of abcess
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the horse's name?
Customer: Smokey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?
Customer: ni
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/18/2016
Horse Veterinarian: horsemed, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian

Hi there, I am an internal medicine specialist and I would be happy to help you with Smokey. Thank you for providing all this information and I am glad you are being conscientious about the medications that Smokey is on! Since it has been 14h since the last dose of an NSAID, you can administer 1g of Bute tonight. Tomorrow, discontinue the Previcox and you can start him on up to 1g of Bute twice a day. I would also recommend taking his temperature at least once daily and soaking his foot for an abscess or having a veterinarian take a look at him tomorrow to ensure it's just an abscess. Please let me know if I was able to answer your question today. Hope that Smokey recovers quickly.

Hello, I wanted to check to ensure you received my answer. Was I able to answer your question? Do you have any other further questions or concerns?

Hello, please let me know if I was able to answer your question by "accepting" the answer. Otherwise, I would be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

horsemed
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian