Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

I have a 6yr quarter horse gelding 15-1 hands 1100 lbs great

Customer Question
confirmation. Problem: We started spring work...
I have a 6yr quarter horse gelding 15-1 hands 1100 lbs great confirmation.
Problem: We started spring work out about 3 weeks ago. 60 foot round pen, Great footing.
Start will walk 8 times both directions, move on to trot same way, Move on to lope and he just started limping of left hind?? No visable injury, no heat or swelling. When we return to walk or trot goes great and does not short stride a bit. Have not tried butt or Prevacox yet.
Question Believe it is in the hip or stifel??????? whats next.
Thank you
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
6/12/2016
Horse Veterinarian: horsemed, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian

Hi there. You did the right thing by feeling his leg for heat and swelling and by contacting someone right away about the lameness. If it is a mild soft tissue injury, you can give him 1-2 weeks off, with a support wrap on the hindlimbs (12 hours on, 12 hours off) and it should be resolved once you bring him slowly back into work after the time off. If it is something more serious, such as bony or tendon injury, the lameness may not resolve completely with the time off and he should definitely see a veterinarian. If you are getting him ready to show and can't afford the time off, I would recommend calling a veterinarian right away so they can work up the lameness. Once they've localized it, they can treat it and prescribe an antiinflammatory such as Bute. Does this make sense?

horsemed
horsemed
horsemed, Horse Veterinarian