Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience with horses. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.
It actually isn't unusual for horses to eat wood ash when given the opportunity. It is thought that they are seeking the minerals in it - possibly potrassium or copper. Normally, wood ashes won't cause any problems. However, if the wood that was burned contained something toxic, neurological problems could result. This is possible if the wood was treated or painted lumber, or if it came from trees that are toxic to horses. Black, walnut, black locust, and several oak species are all toxic. Black walnut is known for causing symptoms similar to founder. The others can cause neurological symptoms. So, the answer to your question is that yes, under some circu,stances, wood ash could make a horse sick.
It's just as likely that it is a coincidence that Camaro developed these symptoms after being in with the wood ash. Regardless, there isn't anything you can do for him on your own. If you do nothing, he may gradually improve, or he may deteriorate. For that reason, I recommend contacting your vet. do let him/her know about the wood ash, especially if it came from a toxic tree or processed lumber. If you have more questions, just let me know. I hope Camaro will quickly reach a full recovery.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!