Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in treating horses.
16881297

Becky. We pulled out one of our horses tonight and he has a

Customer Question

Becky. We pulled out one of our horses tonight and he has a little bit of mucus coming out and his nostrils are flared. I have another horse he has been out with and she has similar symptoms.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Breathing is heavier than normal. They don't appear to be off their feed or water. Other than that nothing that I can see
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Horse Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am sorry that Becky is not available but I would like to try to help. The fact that both horses have this discharge tells us that both have an allergic reaction or that both have picked up an Upper REspiratory Infection. If the mucous is clear, this most likely is not an infection but a reaction to allergies, common this time of year. This will respond to an anti histamine that your vet can give or you can give them both Benadryl at 0.5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7 days. This will not hurt them and if they respond to this, then you will know that this is a response to an allergic reaction. If the discharge becomes yellow and/or puslike, then this is an infection that will require treatment from your vet and isolation of these horses from the others to decrease any possibility that this is spread. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta