Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My horse is losing s winter coat but he layed down two times

Customer Question

my horse is losing his winter coat but he layed down two times today. I have been feeding him alfalfa and beets with oats minerals. Is there anything wrong with my horse?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Losing. How old is Losing?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is losing his hair and he is 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Motz?
Customer: I haven't seen him just lie down like that
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I assume that you are not too worried about Motz shedding. Regardless of where you live in the country & how cold it has been there, the days are getting longer & that is the stimulus for animals to start shedding.

If the weather has been warm, it is perfectly normal for a horse to lie down & nap. But if this is totally out of character for him, this could be a sign that he is having some discomfort, either belly pain from colic, or foot pain from impending founder.

If you observe him grazing in between his down periods, then it is unlikely colic, or he just may be experiencing some gas pains. If he seems comfortable on his feet, does not stand with his front feet well out in front of his hindfeet, then hopefully he is not trying to founder on you.

If you feel comfortable taking Motz's temperature, that would be helpful. Anything from 99.9 F up to 102 F would be normal. Over 103 F is elevated & he may need antibiotics.

Otherwise, do not feed him anything but grass hay for a couple of days. If he continues to eat, does not appear painful on his feet, & seems bright & cheerful, then slowly reintroduce his alfalfa & oats over a day or so.

If he continues to lie down & especially if he wants to roll, call your veterinarian ASAP.

I hope this makes sense & has provided you the information you needed. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you.