How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dan C., DVM Your Own Question
Dan C., DVM
Dan C., DVM, Horse Veterinarian
Category: Horse Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1174
Experience:  Solo Equine Practitioner/Mobile Practice Owner for 16 years.
Type Your Horse Veterinary Question Here...
Dan C., DVM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to find a sedative I can give a mini mule so the

Customer Question

I'm trying to find a sedative I can give a mini mule so the farrier can do his feet. He is a rescue and wont allow anyone very close to him
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He was given to me and his previous owner neglected him so hes pretty wild. I had the farrier try to rope him and he did have his back leg but he kicked like he wanted to kill him so we let him loose. His hooves are long but not curling up like you see sometimes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Horse Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning, and thanks for the question.

I can understand your frustration, but there is a solution, providing you have a relationship with a horse Veterinarian. There is now a sedative available for owners meant exactly for your type of situation. The product is called “Dormosedan” and is available in a gel form for oral administration. Hopefully, you have a horse Vet that you have worked with from whom you can purchase this. It’s a very safe sedative, and an overdose is almost impossible (if you were to give too much, the sedation would only last longer). It must be given about thirty minutes before trimming, and needs to be given underneath the tongue for effect. So check with your Vet for availability. Usually costs about thirty dollars a tube.

There are also herbal supplements for calming that are available at most feed stores, however from the description of your mule, they may not work well in your situation.

I trust I’ve been of some help, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best to you, and good luck with your mule!

-Dan C., DVM.

Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon!

Just checking in to see if you have any further questions. If something I posted is unclear, please let me know.


-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No makes sense but there's no way he'll allow anyone to put that in his mouth that's why I was hoping there was something natural I could use.
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Would it be possible to get a nose twitch on him? Can you get a halter on him? There are types of restraint devices that can be fit on to a halter, and work just as well as a twitch, better in some cases! Let me know!

Thanks again,

-Dan C., DVM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is wild. The farrier and I chased him for an hour until we got him in a enclosure in which he kicked at the farrier constantly. The farrie was able to rope his back leg and tie it up to a pole. If I had anesthesia shot form I could have gotten down. Is it legal for a vet to sell anesthesia to me in shot form?
Expert:  Dan C., DVM replied 1 year ago.

Again, thanks for getting back to me.

As for your current question, if you have a working relationship with a Veterinarian, the Vet can legally sell you an injectable anesthetic, providing it is not a controlled substance (such as Butorphenol, Valium, Morphine, etc.). There are drugs that are not controlled that a Vet can sell you, but that is left up to the Vet’s discretion. I have many clients that I will provide with sedatives, but only if I am sure that they will use them responsibly and according to directions. If you have a working relationship with a Vet, you might request a sedative such as Xylazine, Dormosedan, Acepromazine or Sedi-Vet. These are all injectable, but again, are dispensed at the discretion of the Vet.

I hope this helps, but don’t hesitate to ask for further clarification, etc.


-Dan C., DVM.