Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with ranch and work horses, breeding stock, and show horses.
92155571

We have a horse who weighs approx. 1100 pounds and has a

Customer Question

We have a horse who weighs approx. 1100 pounds and has a wire cut that is infected. It is the weekend. We have some La-200 (oxytetracycline). Can that be give subcutaneously. The horse is 20 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the horse bleeding a lot?
Customer: The wire cut happened about 10 days and have been cleaning it with cut-heal.
JA: What is the horse's name?
Customer: No it is not bleeding. and the horses name is Daisy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: Healthy old mare. The cut is on the front of the hind leg just below the hock. It is swelling in that joint area
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Horse Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm very sorry to hear about Daisy. Oxytetracycline can be given to horses but is usually given IV. I believe it causes a tissue reaction if given by another route. Your best bet would be to get a hold of some penicillin. Most feed stores or farm supply stores will carry it. The dose for Daisy would be 10-15ml IM every 24 hrs for 5-7 days. You can also run a cold hose over the swelling and administer Bute or Banamine. An epsom salt wrap can also help take the swelling out until you can get other products. I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!