Horse Veterinary

Horse Veterinary Questions? Ask an Equine Vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Horse Veterinary

My pony is lame. No heat in feet/ laminitis symptoms. Found

Customer Question
a liitle thrush in one...
My pony is lame. No heat in feet/ laminitis symptoms. Found a liitle thrush in one hoof -treated. No obvious cracks in feet. Chirping up a bit but most unlike her. She is a tough nut usually.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
3/2/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I still would worry, because Star is a pony, that this could be founder even if it is in all 4 feet. I say this because teh only way to know for sure is to check for digital pulses and if you are not experienced in this, you may miss this. The best thing you can do for your sweet Star or Muffy is to start her on Biutazolidin 1 gm every 12 hrs and place her in a stall or clear pasture with only low quality hay or straw to help stop this process. Give this a few days to see if she will respond. You have done all the right things for your sweet Muffy but founder can come on without us knowing it. The pasture may be too rich or she got into something that you were not aware of. Treat for this and if there is no improvement, take her to your vet for further diagnostics. In most cases, this will resolve this and hopefully, there will not be permanent damage.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian