Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

I have a miniature donkey that is very unsteady on s feet,

Customer Question
I have a jack miniature...
I have a jack miniature donkey that is very unsteady on his feet, not moving much and having spontaneous knee jerking
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
2/20/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This knee jerking and reluctance to move sounds like a neurologic issue. This can be due to a liver disease which is infectious or metabolic or due to some form of head trauma. These guys are also very prone to founder which is a possibility. It is good to continue giving Bute every 12 hrs but it is important that you have your vet examine him to know for sure. testing will rule out liver disease and infection and may give a direction for treatment to relieve Little Man's condition. I wish I could give you more advice but without testing, it is hard to know what is causing Little Man's condition and how best to treat him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Horse Veterinarian