Horse Veterinary

Horse veterinary questions? Ask an equine vet.

Ask a Veterinarian,

Yeah I have a filly that was performing well she's 3 had her…

Customer Question
Yeah I have a filly...
Yeah I have a filly that was performing well she's 3 had her at track for 6 months ! This last month she had become unruly and lethargic and I'm going to give her omeperazole I think she has some ulcers . My question is when giving omeperazole to her, what might that medication draw from her body as far as vitamin or mineral etc that could make her lack of so what should I use to offset and how long would it take to heal these ulcers and for her to return to her normal self also I was using some bovine synthetic colostrum with her daily routine should I continue use of this with the omeperazole thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Horse Veterinary
2/17/2016
Horse Veterinarian: Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about your filly's troubles. Omeprazole is a well tolerated drug in horses. Typically, the only complications that result are if the horse has an allergy to it, which is quite rare. If the horse develops hives or itchiness, discontinue the product. Omeprazole can interact with some other drugs such as cyclosporine, sucralfate and cyanocobalamin, so be aware if she is also taking any of these drugs.

The recommended duration for treatment is 4 weeks and then giving a half dose for another 2-4 weeks to prevent recurrence.

Additional supplements usually aren't needed for the omeprazole, but if bleeding ulcers are suspected, an iron or other red cell supplement is advised to prevent anemia. You can continue with the colostrum as well.

If she doesn't tolerate the omeprazole well, cimetidine may be another option for you. Hope this helps, if you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr-Bonk